Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Fraser Island


I still need to finalise the story line and photo series of my Christmas trip throug Queensland. From Airlie Beach I went to Rainbow Beach, one of the two gateways to Fraser Island, the world largest sand island and famous for its natural inhabitants: the dingo.

After having been to so many natural wonders this still amazed me. You can only access Fraser Island on a 4 WD and can only move there during low tide, when the water level is rising you should move over the dunes and set up a camp. It's a great experience the use a 4 WD, and te group I went with was great, some French, Swiss and German people. The whole trip I barely saw Aussies, mainly European backpackers.

We visited bautiful inland fresh water lakes (unfortunately we couldn't swim in the sea, sharks and stingers made it a little dangerous), blue water and white sand still is paradise even after you have visited the Whitsunday Islands. We spend 3 days on the island, and kept our camp on the same place.

Unfortunately this was more or less the end of my trip as well. After I left Fraser Island I went to Sunshine Coast (Noosa Heads) for a day where rain kept me inside the hostel. The day after I pocked up a car from Avis and drove back to Canberra which turned out to be 1400 KMs. It was nice to see some of country Queensland and New South Wales but 1400 KMs is a long way...

No comments: