Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Update (English)

Last Thursday I went to Senate training in Parliament House, which was really interesting, the Australian Senate has a much different (more powerful) role than the Dutch one. We learned about every aspect of the Senate, a Senator came and give a lecture and we were shown all important places inside Parliament House. Yesterday Tony Blair gave a speech to the parliament, on the work floor we can follow the house of reps and the senate via a live channel so we can see how our minister is doing on topics of our concern. Next week our own PM will visit Australia but as far as I am aware he will not get the privilege to address the both houses.

In the weekend I visited a house warming party with some friends. House warming parties in Australia contain a specific ingredient: BYO (Bring Your Own) drinks, but since there are many people it is always fun. Some restaurants have BYO policy as well, they will charge you for opening a bottle of beer or wine.

Alcohol is much more expensive over here (roughly twice the price) that's why the BYO policy makes sense (just like in Sweden actually). It is not too bad that alcohol is more expensive since Aussies drink a lot, that's why some people call Ozzies "the Bapoes".

I was planning to make a trip between Easter (14 April - Good Friday) and ANZAC Day (25 April, Remembrance Day for the Australian and New Zealand forces). First I thought to go to Cairns and travel south to Brisbane to complete my East coast tour, but cyclone Larry damages far North Queensland quite a bit and plane tickets were expensive so I decided yesterday quite sudden to go to New Zealand, and booked tickets right away. I guess this is the longest consecutive period I spend in one single country for years.

On 14 April I'll take a Qantas flight Sydney - Auckland and next day I'll probably drive down to Wellington, finally 25 April I'll fly from Christchurch to Sydney. Everything in between will be dealt with during and after the trip on this log!

Cannot wait to depart!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Zelfs dit reisverslag is nu in het Engels (wat gezien het huidige niveau van je Nederlands misschien maar beter is)! Je bent aan het verozzieën!
Kortom: "Die zien we nooit meer... te-rug"!